You are currently viewing Match Report (Men’s) 6/5/23

Match Report (Men’s) 6/5/23




Round 2 of the Championship Season saw this year’s edition of the Geoff Farrington Shield. This trophy honouring one of our much loved founders is extremely valued by Easts, and has been held by Taroona for several years. It is a day when some of our retired veterans come out to play as a mark of respect to Faz, and this year was no different.

Fittingly, the Referee was Rooster and TRU Life Member Jimmy Hobden.

The Roosters kicked off and from the receipt the Penguins showed that they wanted to run the ball at every opportunity. Unfortunately the Ref wasn’t doing the Roosters any favours and three penalties in a row to Taroona resulted in three knock-ons. Unfortunately with 12 minutes gone, another penalty and subsequent line-out win saw the Penguins score under the posts for a converted try.

Eight minutes later, Taroona rucked the ball downfield to score on the right hand tram line. Only two minutes later, the Roosters had a good line-out win, however a knock-on in the centres saw a turn-over and another score under the posts.

New recruit Taylor Leonard was doing a sterling job in defence at full back, tackling anything that moved. Scott Teale was everywhere, safely fielding the high balls and running them back.

Securing the Geoff Farrington Shield now looked to be a significant task with the Roosters down 19-0. Two more line-out wins, the second right on half time resulted in two more tries to the Penguins and we went to half time at 33-0.

The second half saw the appearance of our big gun veterans in Phill Barry, Marc Whitfield and Coach Chris Barr.

The Roosters seemed to have consolidated but when Taroona pressed the line a panic kick straight down the centre gifted the Penguins another try to take them to 40-0.

The old fellas were holding things together and their experience leading the young Roosters was evident. A brave but misguided Penguin decided that it would be a good idea to take Wiggy out. Unfortunately he hadn’t been told that the big fella’s rugged good looks didn’t come from loitering in the back-line. The game became somewhat spiteful, and some angry Roosters got into the trenches.

A penalty to Easts saw Kiwi take a quick kick and he barged over to take the score to 40-5.

28 minutes in, Phill Barry had the mis-fortune to score a double that is never likely to be repeated – the first ever yellow card in a Feather Dusters game and a yellow in a Geoff Farrington game. No-one knows why he received the latest one. We can only conclude that Ref Jimmy saw that he needed a rest and obliged him.

A player short, the Roosters were trying hard, but from broken play the Penguins again scored and Kyle Dupree joined Phill in the naughty boys seats. Two men down, the Roosters had no answer to the Penguins final push. The final score of 68-5 meant that sadly the Farrington Shield remained with Taroona for another year.

Easts best players were Scott Teale (3 votes), Kyle Fishpool (2 votes) and Taylor Leonard (1 vote).

Reported by Les Marshall

Vice President ESRUFC