Match Report (Men’s) 29/4/23

MEN’S ROUND 1 EASTERN SUBURBS ROOSTERS vs TAROONA PENGUINS 29th April 2023  The 2023 Season kicked off on a beautiful Autumn day with the Men’s and Women’s teams commencing proceedings at the school kids time of 11.00am. The Women’s team report has been filed separately.  It was great to see the men fielding a full squad of 23 players which must have heartened Coach Chris Barr tremendously. The squad included 6 debutantes proudly sporting the famous Rooster Maroon and White.  The Roosters kicked off and the faithful supporters thought we were in for a good day when the Taroona player knocked on at their first touch. Unfortunately the joy was short- lived. Only 4 minutes in, Darcy Butler was carried off with what looked a severe leg injury. Luckily some sideline attention repaired the problem somewhat and he was able to return to the fray later on.   Meanwhile play went on and a penalty to the Penguins for not releasing by the Roosters saw them score wide out on the left side. The Penguin veteran Christo Le Grange showed that his kicking game hadn’t totally deserted him with age and he kicked the conversion.  The Roosters seemed to be a little shell-shocked and from the kick-off and subsequent ruck Taroona won the ball and they streaked away to score under the posts. Only 3 minutes later, the Penguins worked the ball downfield through several phases before scoring out wide on the left again.  Captain Paul Enright showed his experience catching the Penguin players with quick penalties and we felt the tide was turning. 29 minutes in, Easts had a scrum win but we handed the ball back to Taroona via a kick downfield. It was a simple retrieve and this time they sprinted down the right wing to score out wide. Right on half time, Taroona won a line- out on our 22 and again they put the ball through the hands to again score out wide on the left. Half time saw the Penguins leading 31-0.  Seven minutes into the second half, the Roosters received a series of penalties. Captain Paul took the ball up then Kiwi and Caiden Bryan hit the line before Captain Paul grabbed the ball and bullocked over 10 metres out on the right side. Kiwi added the extras and the score was looking better at 31-7.  Only 5 minutes later, Taroona won a penalty 10 metres out and from a tap scored on the tram track but luckily for us, they missed the conversion. The Roosters consolidated and pressed hard in attack. Sadly, only 10 metres out Taroona received a penalty and in what was becoming a little predictable they carried the ball 90 metres down the left wing to score. From the kick-off they were at it again, this time down the right wing to make the score 48-7. Things weren’t going right for Easts. Super boot Kiwi kaunched the ball from the centre into touch-in-goal. Another scrum win by the Penguins from the ensuing scrum saw another try down the right despite a valiant attempt at full back by Kyle Dupree. The Penguins seemed to be running riot, but Mitch Eddinton wasn’t having it. Somehow he lifted with Taroona again threatening down the left and Brad Fishpool chipped in to help. The penguins though maintained posession to score again down the left. The Roosters weren’t totally done. With one minute to go we were 3 metres out and somehow managed to turn over posession and that was all the Penguins needed to add the icing on a 65-7 win. Easts best players were Paul Enright (3 votes), Peter (Kiwi) Heke Te Kahika (2 votes), Scott Teale (1 vote) and Caiden Bryan (1 vote) Reported by Les MarshallVice President, ESRUFC